BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Desperate Woman Seeking Prune

PRUNES. It is what is on my mind this morning. Food and menu planning is often on my mind, but this is different. I am desperate. We have been given a 24 lb. box of prunes. I really am thankful. I am also stumped.

So my ideas so far include Moroccan Basteeva Pie with chicken in it, as a main dish. Bacon Wrapped Prunes is another fun idea for a snack night. My last idea for now is a Cheese stuffed prunes recipe. I would make some changes here, but the idea is appealing.

Being that I am curious in nature, and also want to know what is in the food I am eating, I thought I would look up the nutritional value of prunes. I know everyone really wants to know just how much fiber is really in those little black bombs. :)

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 cup of pitted
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 6
Calories 408
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 0.65g1%
Saturated Fat 0.15g1%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.105g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.09g
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 3mg0%
Potassium 1244mg
Total Carbohydrate 108.6g36%
Dietary Fiber 12.1g48%
Sugars 64.82g
Protein 3.71g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 7%Iron 9%



I am totally shocked that there are 108 grams of Carbohydrates in one cup of prunes! The 12 grams of Fiber is pretty...ummm...amazing too. If more information about the prune is desired, look here California Dried Plums. There is some really good stuff there about antioxidants and such. 

I challenge you to make something with prunes this week, and post a comment with your recipe, or e-mail me and I will mention you in my blog. I need ideas!!  Hoping any readers have a fiber filled weekend. :D  
~~Melissa




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh come on ... really? Today's blog ... Prunes ... yesterday's "Sit in the mess." Hmmm ... what exactly is on you mind for real here? Inquiring minds want to know. :)